Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Casey Anthony verdict was... correct

Like many Americans, and perhaps citizens of other countries, as well, I have a problem with trusting our government. Anything that extends past the community level seems to be corrupt, and even then you have to question the motivation of the parties involved. I trust the judicial system even less than actual government, which is partially why I don’t ever want to be involved in jury duty. The result in the Casey Anthony trial earlier this week further extends my belief as why. By now, we all know that Anthony was acquitted on charges of first-degree murder of her two year old daughter, aggravated child abuse, and aggravated manslaughter of a child. However, she was found guilty of lying to the police on four separate occasions as to her knowledge on the whereabouts of her daughter. Despite this obstruction of justice, lying to the police is a misdemeanor. That’s the loophole the defense managed to escape through, leading to the acquittal of in my opinion, a murderer. But that’s the difference between me, you, and the jury. Their job is to examine the facts and reach an unbiased, objective decision on the facts presented during the case. Not what media says and not public outcry. With that being said, they did exactly what they were asked…. They did their job. That’s the kind of job that I want no part of. There’s no way I’d be able to make a clear decision on what happened. A child was murdered and the blood of that child is clearly on the hands of the mother. Unfortunately, the prosecution had a very weak case, depending mainly on the lies Anthony told the police and a theory that chloroform was used to make her daughter unconscious, allowing duct tape to be place over her mouth and nose afterwards. The defense claimed the death happened in an accidental drowning, also a weak argument since no evidence is there to support that, either. But despite the lies and presence of duct tape found in her daughter’s hair, it still was not enough evidence to support first-degree murder, according to the law. But a little girl is dead. Her mother is a liar. Those areas are black and white. But its those gray areas make me steer clear from jury duty. I’m an emotional person. I’m a passionate person. Being a father that loves his son more than the world itself, there’s no way I’d be able to give an objective opinion on what happened. I don’t even want to take that chance… because if it were up to me, that woman would be going to jail. I wouldn’t even want her to receive the death penalty. I’d want her to sit there the rest of her life with that guilt hanging over her head. But the decision isn’t up to me and we the public are not the jury. The best thing we can do is not support the book and movie deal that will come when this woman gets out of jail, which will probably be in less than a month of her acquittal. And no matter what you and I think of the situation, she’ll never go to jail for the murder because you can’t appeal an acquittal. Even if she has a pay-per-view special and admits to doing it, she won’t go to jail for murder. But you can bet the spirit of that little girl will haunt Casey Anthony forever. She’ll never have peace and I wouldn’t be surprised if she does something stupid and ends up in jail in a separate case, anyway. I’m not interested in watching the train wreck… that’s why I steered clear of Nancy Grace and the rest of the media coverage surrounding the event. Do yourselves a favor and do the same. If you don’t, this story won’t go anywhere.

1 comment:

  1. I have done jury duty before and the prosecution did not prove her guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That's exactly what happened.

    ReplyDelete